Saturday 29 April
Elevation levels according to Guthook app: total ascent 474m, total descent 394.8m
Mountains climbed: Cooper Ridge Bald 5080ft / 1548m
Today I am camping at Big Branch Campsite which is just after Weser Bald and it has to have the most uneven tent sites so far. Set up the tent and inflated the mattress and rolled right off it. *Groan* so we know how tonight’s sleep is going to go.
Woke up this morning in a far better head space and decided to take short day at the Nantahala Outdoor Centre in a coupe of days, to see where I am with my mileage and what I need to be doing.
Cool to see the ground covering coming in and amazing to see the changing of the seasons, it gives one something to look at while hiking 😊
- Washing my undies and socks everyday then trying to dry them on my pack – just keep them on for couple of days and then swap them over. A few reasons, when it rains for two or three days in a row you can’t dry them anyway and when it is sunny, water top ups are rarely easy to get and do you want to waste your precious camp time on this, besides you have to be careful about using any soap products because of attracting bears.
- Airing my walking clothes out outside every night – this is similar to above, can’t be bothered and no point really, they pong no matter what.
- Walking through puddles and mud – you waste time trying to avoid mud and puddles cause they are everywhere for days after raining.
- Changing in a shelter when you can’t be bothered putting up your tent especially when you want to leave early – guys just turn around.
- Not caring bout different dryer heats or washing cycles for thermals etc – all in together high heat
Thanks for reading 😊